Saturday, May 10, 2008

Tricks of the Trade?


Before reading any further I suggest please reading a selection of one of ESPN's finest baseball minds. Found here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3385066


Now that you have been enlightened by the baseball genius that is Steve Phillips let me give you my perspective on the article .......... WTF ARE YOU SERIOUS? I direct my last comment towards a few different parties: Steve Phillips, ESPN, Baseball Tonight, and the New York Mets. How was this man ever employed as a major league general manager? For those of you who don't know, Mr. Phillips is formerly the GM of the New York Mets who upon awaking from a coma ran him out of town. Then ESPN gave him a job as a baseball analyst, which doesn't surprise me with the firing of Harold Reynolds and hiring a hansom fellow like John Kruk. I could rip on ESPN's new wave of baseball personnel but I'll save that for a future blog. For now I will focus on a comical article posted on ESPN.com to which myself and a few others commenting on the article found to be completely ridiculous. Please keep Phillip's article open in another browser window so you can keep along with my rant.


Phillips' Bullet of Wisdom #1: He starts off right with "TRADE JUNIOR". However, wanting in return OF- Josh Fields or OF-Carlos Quentin is where he immediately goes wrong. The Reds are trying to make room for outfielder Jay Bruce so adding another outfielder shouldn't be a priority (besides, I'm sure you read my previous blog). Josh Fields is about as reasonable as Phillips will get in this article but Carlos Quentin is ripping it up this season. Why would Chicago trade him for an old, high priced, final year of contract, good for fly out Ken Griffey Jr.?


Phillips' Bullet of Wisdom #2: Adam Dunn to the Giants for Matt Cain? Why on earth would a Giants club trade a good young pitcher like Cain who owns a 3.80ERA and 1.25WHIP through his 4 years of major league experience, hes only going to get better. Now Phillips is somewhat realistic in asking for McGowan or SHAUN (not Shawn, as Phillips said) Marcum from Toronto, but asking for Lind to be thrown in is a little out there. Now this next idea is the reason why ESPN should reconsider employment of Mr. Phillips. "Call Cleveland, which is desperate for bats, and ask for Cliff Lee and one of these three: OF Franklin GutiƩrrez and lefties Jeremy Sowers and Aaron Laffey." ......I'm speechless. Yes, please call up Cleveland and watch them hang up on your stupid butt for asking for Cliff Lee owner of a 0.81ERA and 0.60WHIP in this young season while also asking for more! Why isn't Steve a major league general manager any more, in fact why is he even allowed to talk about baseball on tv?


Phillips' Bullet of Wisdom #3: Trade Arroyo? Arroyo has been hammered to the point this year where Dusty Baker is trying to convince him hes hurt. No one in baseball is going to want his arm especially with his pricey contract. Notice how Phillips doesn't even bother comming up with a possible deal involving him.


Phillips' Bullet of Wisdom #4: Now I could go on a huge rant about this crap but I believe MonteRSouder said it best in his comment on Steve's article, "When I was in grade school, I was a huge Reds fan and would often imagine them trading role players and crappy regulars for other teams stars and best prospects. And that was before crappy players became even less appealing by being drastically overpaid (i.e., Griffey, Dunn and Arroyo). In junior high I began to imagine trades with a greater sense of fairness because I wanted to come up with and discuss ideas that the target teams might actually consider. I was at first surprised to realize that one of the most valuable franchises in sport once employed a General Manager who by all appearances never learned this rudimentary lesson. Until I considered that the same city was the home for reign of Isaiah Thomas - who would regularly make lopsided trades just like this to fulfill other GM's most idealistic fantasies...". Thats a perfect description of the same exact way I feel about bullet #4. I really hope this was Phillips' try at comedy but I somehow doubt it.


Bullet #5 is not too crazy so I'm not really gunna comment on that but the rest of his article is out of this world. Seriously, these are the types of offers I put into Out Of The Park Baseball and the game tells me to get lost. Over the last few years I have slowly become so fed up with Steve Phillips from Baseball Tonight but this article throws my feelings towards him over the top. Please anyone and everyone comment on his article and maybe ESPN will catch on!


No comments: